20 Jul 2011

How to archive tweets

As archives encounter more and more 'Born Digital' material, questions surrounding the storing of such material become increasingly important. Here are two articles on how to personally archive 'tweets' from twitter which currently only keeps a searchable archive of the last 3200 tweets at a time for each account and as these roll over, tweets are lost.

One article speculates on the uses of archiving tweets: "Not everyone will care to archive their tweets, but it can be a good idea if you want to keep a record of what you’ve said on Twitter. You might be running a business Twitter account and want to save your interactions with customers, or you might be using Twitter to write 140-character haikus that you eventually compile into a book."
How to archive your tweets -  http://www.mediabistro.com/alltwitter/how-to-archive-your-tweets_b4707

Another article - http://news.idg.no/cw/art.cfm?id=9C7F0E3F-1A64-6A71-CE891C8591844C5A

1 comment:

  1. Thanks for these links - I remember seeing them mentioned on someone else's Twitter but couldn't remember when or who!

    On a related subject - the Blogforever project sounds really interesting too. I know that, in terms of being a record of my professional work, I should be doing something to preserve my blog, and my work blog & Twitter, but as yet I don't know what to do. So I'm going to fill out the Blogforever survey and hope someone else can figure it out and let me know the answers!

    ReplyDelete